Wednesday, November 16, 2011

NGV ICT REPORT


NGV

I just finished researching a project based on ICT resources in the National Gallery of Victoria.

Basically they don't want to be left behind on that technology front so they're connecting with people like ME: young, teacher, ICT friendly to work with in finding how to enhance ICT use.

The aim was to find ways of using ICT and other activities to enhance and expand on gallery experience for students.

It was a seriously eye opening experience.

I spent weeks testing apps for iPhones and iPads, analysing the strengths and weaknesses and ranking them for suitability of use within the gallery space.


It was actually quite a fun experience because I got to play around with a number of art apps that allowed you to draw and edit photographs and paint, etc. I found the best ones were Brushes and Sketchbook Pro, and if working with photographs either Photoshop app or Photogene. This project actually opened up doors creatively for me that I may incorporate into future teaching. In terms of suitability for gallery activities these apps are comprehensive yet had quite a simple layout. They allow for endless creative possibilities and the best thing is that students can take away what they have done in the gallery by exporting to emails or facebook and so on.

AND THAT IS WHAT IS TO IMPORTANT!! I HAVE COME TO REALISE THAT...

- Students can learn a huge amount in a gallery setting and in many settings outside the classroom but the important thing is enabling them to take their findings and creations away from the gallery setting and beyond. I want to see that link between outside classroom learning connect with the curriculum and I believe that ICT can play a huge role in this.

An example of this is, say a student is at NGV and is asked as part of the activities to use an Art App on their Iphone or on an iPad provided, to appropriate a work and then send it off to their facebook or email address or a forum, etc. This is a simple way of extending students beyond the gallery.

Some other uses with these programs for students are:

· Select a number of artworks and merge sections into own depiction of a morphed artwork.

· Students select an artwork and depict it with their own alterations, considering particular elements, such as colour, line, texture, tone and shape.

· Select a number of artworks and merge sections into own depiction of a morphed artwork.

· Using a number of artworks, identify and select various uses of elements and principles and apply these to own interpretation.

· Photograph artwork and edit with tools such as hue altering to create an appropriation.

· Add text to artworks to alter meaning

· Merge photographs of different sections of various artworks

· Download an image of choice and merge it with a photograph the student has taken on their IT equipment to create new concept.

· Use the video programs to create short video clips or documentaries based on works and present to class.


THE BEST THING IS, THESE ACTIVITIES COULD BE APPLIED ANYWHERE, ON A FOOTBALL FIELD, IN THE SCIENCE CLASSROOM , ETC. EXCITING STUFF!!

I'm interested in bringing in these activities into the classroom. So when there are improvements in resources and funding I would love for my students to be able to work with these programs and take their creating home and back to school again on the small screen of an ipad. It's just a small way of learning but it could mean huge things for the curriculum. The big ISSUE is FUNDING. Although I've discovered that there is a new government initiative called "Ipads for Learning": basically students are getting Ipads for free and teachers are getting trained in how to assist students learning with them. It's a trial so it'll be interesting to see if it sticks. I doubt it will, only because so much of art goes beyond a small screen, particularly contemporary art which has popularised public artworks and installation. I can however see the benefit of students being able to access the internet and blogs and videos, etc.

What else did I learn, well I also ranked International gallery websites and evaluated the 'Interactive" and "Education" components of them. I came to found that the really big galleries like GUGGENHEIM and MOMA had fantastic resources that local galleries could not compare to. It really proves that the way of learning is moving to online and to ICT!



No comments:

Post a Comment